Sunday, March 22, 2020

Here I am

Here I am, an artist like many others across the city and the country, late in my career with a substantial body of unsold work. I didn’t do a market survey to determine what kind of work consumers wanted. I just made serious work that I offered back the world I had carefully attended to and thought about.

All this work of all these artists sits there, not getting even the same attention given to a corporate cheat or a high school quarterback. Who knows what will eventually happen to this work. Will it be lost? Will it be picked over? Will someone come to care for and about it? No one knows.

Any consolation is in the fact that making art provides a life of challenge and satisfaction, of creativity and depth. In the end, making the work makes the artist.

No comments: