Friday, December 21, 2018

Born naked

We are born naked. And in a flash people want to poke us, play with our toes, pinch us and inspect us all over. So it occurred to me that maybe we should be buried naked to complete the cycle. We aren’t required by law to be embalmed. We can give our best burial outfits to the Salvation Army, purchase a simple pine coffin, and let whoever wants to inspect us again do so.

We certainly won’t be embarrassed. We can publicly show our scars or those secret tattoos or the body parts we were proud of. Leave all the pomp and spectacle to the rich and the mighty. We can humbly go into the ground or into the fire and become ashes one way or the other.


As for me, that’s what I’m going to do…sort of. My body goes to the medical school where I’ll be poked, sliced and inspected all over, but by a specialized few. Then the fire.

No comments: