Friday, January 12, 2018

Oprah

With the “Oprah for President” discussion being bandied about, I thought it was important for me to start paying attention to the Oprah phenomenon. I happened to be waiting to meet some friends and saw a copy of the Oprah magazine on the table near me. So I picked it up and gave it a quick (admittedly rather superficial) look.
First, she is on every cover. On this one she was lounging in the sun. Every time her name was mentioned in the magazine, there was a picture of her. (She must spend a great deal of time preparing for and having photo shoots.) There were self-image and self-help articles, and some articles on social issues. No disturbing images related to those social issues, but nice pictures of the writers of the articles.
Advertising was, to me anyway, for products that would be expensive for the ordinary person—clothes, beauty products, décor items. Also noticeable was that the models in the ads were your standard, stare you down thin ladies. No body variety at all.
My observations. Admittedly quick. Just sayin’.

No comments: