Sunday, March 24, 2019

Rolodex

For centuries the artists in the canon of Western art had to negotiate between standards of excellence imposed by the cultural, political and religiously powerful and their own artistic demands of excellence. This created a tension that resulted in powerful works of art.

At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, artists began to question those very cultural, political and religious arbiters of taste. Excellence was then in the control of the artist, and the new arbiters of taste were critics, dealers, museums and, in particular, the wealthy. Often the wealthy were the pop culture wealthy.

I’m wondering how this affects the nature of contemporary art, which I see (and maybe it’s my own elitism) as often shallow, without high standards, propped up by marketing, intentionless or too self-focused.

I will admit that when I go to an exhibit or peruse a magazine of contemporary art, images try to fit into my mental rolodex of images. I don’t know how to store them. The rolodex is spinning like crazy, and the new images often just can’t make it in.


Help me.

No comments: