Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Two strategies


I’ve been to enough artist openings in my life to recognize that they are generally treated as celebratory events with the artist getting pats on the back and congratulations. But when the artist waits for this, surround by supporters, it limits access by interested gallery visitors who want to be educated about the art. To me, the opening should be a time where the artist reaches out, takes initiative, opens himself to visitors who are unfamiliar and seeks to educate about his art.

I’ve been to enough artist talks where the artist himself is the focus of the talk in terms of the making of the work. To me, the artist talk should be generous in its acknowledgement of the audience. The talk should be for the audience not for the artist, explaining why it was made for them and why the art cares for them.

These are two strategies that will help art escape from its current inner-directed and self-focused state.

No comments: