Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Follow up


Follow up on recent posts.

Excellence happens when good enough is never good enough.

I remember when even female art historians dutifully taught the white male canon of art history. New ideas and powerful artists changed that fast, which made me feel that a reassessment of art history should be an ongoing activity.
Darby Bannard talked about “art that was art becoming art.” I took this to mean art moving toward timelessness.
In my judgment, for example, William Kentridge becomes less and less history and more and more art. While Jackson Pollock, for me, becomes more and more history and less and less art.

I know that many of my posts seem arrogant. But whatever I write in my blogs, I measure myself against, and often fail. But at least I get to see how well I’m doing as an artist and an attentive human being.

No comments: