Saturday, July 6, 2019

That was a bipolar day

As my day begins, I am waking every few minutes trying to hold back time, wanting to stay safe where I am in bed. The alarm rings, and for a few minutes I struggle to get the sandbags that are my body up and moving. Anxiety and heaviness force me to have to push to get through my morning routine. I find no pleasure in it.

As I drive to work, I close the car windows and scream as loud as I can just to try to free myself from the unrelenting, racing thoughts. Soon I’ll have to put on the façade that covers the deep depression so I can interact successfully with colleagues and students. It takes incredible energy to hold myself together, since I feel myself ready to fragment at any time. I go through small but paralyzing panic attacks.

I get home after work and try my best to be present to my family. Still those racing thoughts. There is a constant hope of some relief in sleep, as disturbed as I know it will be.

At some point, I will experience brief but intense euphoria. I will have trouble keeping my feet on the ground, and I will briefly feel one with all of creation. But it won’t happen tomorrow and it won’t last.


That was a bipolar day.

No comments: