Sunday, October 14, 2018

I am a 16-yer-old American male

I am a 16-yer-old American male. The part of my brain that helps me control my impulses won’t mature for another 10 years. But nobody told me that. One day I love my parents and the next day I think they are controlling idiots. I know I’m supposed to cut the umbilical cord and grow up and leave them one day. But how does that happen?

I have a car and a job. I sneak a cigarette with my friends. Even drink beer. Does this make me a man? Is it important to do the things that make me feel cool in front of my friends? I’m having a hard time getting good answers. I don’t think long term much. Sex is a biggie.

In class we learned a little about how big corporations spend big bucks to get me to consume their products. Cool. Look good. Only the best. Yes, Mom I do need those $150 tennis shoes. All my friends have them. Celebrities know best. After all they are celebrities.

So am I getting close to manhood? How can I tell? Who can I trust to help me?

Excuse me, I need to get going to tattoo parlor.

No comments: