Friday, February 17, 2017

Aging into death

Mine is the age of watching people get old and die. What I’ve learned is that people plan for death but don’t plan for how to live as they approach death. My observation is that the kind of human being you are as you live toward your death is just the kind of human being you were in life.

It takes effort and attention to adapt to the changing world and changing human dynamics around you. This is something not a whole lot of people are willing to do.

If you’re a grouch now, you’ll be a grouch later.
If you have set expectations for others now, you will later.
If you are flexible now, you’ll be flexible later.
If you are amiable now, you will be amiable later.
And so it goes, with the caveat that dementia can be unpredictable.

So I’m talking to myself seriously about this. Trying to measure my behaviors now. Letting those who will take care of me know that I respect their commitments the ones they love.  Releasing them from any burdens that they may imagine they must carry.


Aging into death is a natural thing. Doing it with grace , and on your town terms, takes preparation.

No comments: