Monday, May 23, 2016

A curmudgeonly look at the Rio olympics

--Corruption in the Brazilian government, corruption in the Olympic organization, polluted water, uncompleted venues, poverty all around, Zika virus. Let the games begin.

--Corporate, corporate and more corporate. Money, money and more money. Spectacle, spectacle and more spectacle. Let the games begin.

--Doping, cheating, judge tampering, anything to win. Olympic ideals.

--Countries with great wealth, great opportunities, great training facilities and big populations vs. countries with government sponsored training programs and huge populations vs. small poor countries vs. rich countries with small populations all competing for medals and status and international bragging rights. What happened to good old human achievement.

--Don't forget the condoms.

--"I did my best" gets swamped by " I got the biggest endorsement contract."

--"I'm proud to represent my country, but I also got the biggest endorsement contract."

--Since I can run fast, jump, dive, swim, play soccer, etc., I know I can sell shoes, deodorant, snack foods, and toenail fungus medications like a champion.

No comments: