Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Real heroes

 I understand the accomplishments of athletes like Novak Djokovic, Tom Brady and Serena Williams. I don’t deny their effort, focus and ability. But the rewards for them come in money, sponsorships, fans, notoriety, medical care and the assurance of a comfortable retirement. They get celebrity and a payday in our society. The news reminds us of this over and over.

I’d rather the news tell me more about the individuals who work under difficult circumstances to help the hungry, homeless and hopeless. They have to beg for money and support. Or the policeman who works in demanding neighborhoods, risking life every day. Their salaries are only modest for the work they do. I’d like to hear about them from the news before they are shot to death. Or the teacher who’s taught 30 years, low salary, pension in jeopardy, own money put into the classroom, juggling curriculum, admin and parents. I’d like to hear more about them.

These folks may not be as sexy as professional athletes, but it’s among them that we can find our real heroes.


No comments: