Thursday, February 10, 2022

Bengals

 I will watch the Super Bowl and enjoy it. I’ll cheer the big plays and eat snacks during the boring parts. I hope the Bengals win, and I think it’s been good for the city and county for this opportunity for folks to come together around this event.

But I will still remind myself that the Bengals are a business and not a public service, a business the public has supported with a stadium and all the renovations Mike Brown asked for over these more than 30 years. That the NFL is a money-making machine that has dealt with concussions, sexual harassment, discrimination and more only when being called to task. That the sale of tickets for the Super Bowl will bring in half a billion dollars or more. That on top of rings and spectacle, there will be a star-studded awards show. The news will have an orgy of Bengals interviews and trivia non-stop.

If only our community could come together this way on feeding children or quality education or mental health issues. Or if money could flow from pocketbooks as freely for needed tax levies as it does for Bengals tickets and sportswear.

Go Bengals.


No comments: