Thursday, November 18, 2021

Wealth

 Wealth was made on backs of slaves. Wealth was made on the exploitation of child labor. Wealth was made holding down the working poor. Now we understand that wealth was made at the expense of pollution and climate disaster.

The difference in the last is that all of us in the developed world have been accomplices in the consumption of excess. We create the dirty air that others breathe, and others create the dirty air that we breathe.

The lifestyle of wealthy countries has impacted life in poor countries, and the wealthy countries are slow to admit to this.

Who’s willing to say, “No thank you, I don’t really need more.” Or, “I can scale down my lifestyle so others can live better.” Or even, “It’s past time for me to confront my complacency.”


No comments: