Thursday, November 19, 2020

40 years

 I have been a professional artist for more than 40 years. I have done all that a professional artist ought to do—national and international exhibitions, teaching, curating shows, mentoring young artists, getting work in museum collections, giving lectures, volunteering for art causes. I have worked in numerous 2-D and 3-D media as well as performance, text, public art and video. In that time I have maintained a coherent vision in my work.


And still my studio is filled with quality work that I can’t sell at a fair price. And I know plenty of artists like me in the same predicament, with studios full of topnotch work that they have to curate.


So I ask myself, where does all this work wind up when the artists die? Does it float up to art heaven? Is there a giant underground vault maintained by Goodwill where it is stored? Does it become just another commodity with a shelf life? Is it waiting for a PhD candidate in art history to find it and resurrect the life of the artist? Should there just be an annual bonfire of unsold art?


Do you have any suggestions?


No comments: