Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Easy beauty

I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of easy beauty. Flower pictures, beach scenes, barns. You know what I mean. They are comfortable and undemanding, cute and colorful. Eventually they disappear into the walls or the furniture or their cuteness wears thin. They evaporate.
I’m also tired of easy beauty in adverting. Have a few seconds? That’s all they want or need. They’re filled with pretty people in pretty houses. They are young and beautiful in stylish bars having the time of their lives.
I’m tired of the easy beauty of sun-drenched spaces occupied by seniors in medicine commercials who in their ecstatic joyfulness fail to hear the side effects that will likely kill them.
Yes, I’m tired of the easy beauty whose emptiness washes over us daily. I want images that are the poetry of the visual language. I want images that stay fresh and keep asking questions. I want images that won’t let go of me. I want images that make me work.
I want beauty that is tough on me. How about you?

No comments: