Saturday, November 11, 2017

Get out the vote


I am not made of the stuff to make it in the military. I worked a service job, but not one that asked of me the sacrifices that the military make. But my son, my father, friends and former students all chose that call to service.

I recently heard a discussion on the radio about how to thank a veteran. Different veterans suggested ways. A “thank you” barely skimmed the surface. Take a few minutes to talk to a veteran. Buy one a meal. Donate to the USO. Volunteer at an organization that provides support to veterans.
All these are good options. 

But in the end, the President and Congress are the ones that put the men and women of the military in danger. The countries we are currently fighting in have not invaded us. Even 9/11seems less and less a justification for decades in this current Middle East morass. The numbers of dead, wounded, disabled, and psychologically and emotionally mangled continue to mount.

There seems to be all the money necessary to stuff the pockets of the weapons dealers. There seems all the money necessary to maintain the military in foreign wars. There seems to be all the money necessary for generous Congressional pensions and health care coverage. But where is the money necessary for the prompt, accessible and quality care of our veterans.


I thank the veterans.--all of them—for their brave and dutiful service. And I hope you will join me in holding accountable the government they served.

No comments: