Friday, December 22, 2023

Calenius

 They call me Calenius. I was the Majestrate of Bethlehem during the time the Christ child was born. This was a bustling time of year because of the Roman tax mandates. The weather was not unpleasant but was unseasonably cold. Because I was busy--actually overwhelmed--by my duties, I did not visit the newborn nor meet the kings. All that I heard was testimony and rumor.

The innkeeper was of little help. I took the long walk to converse with the shepherds, who at the time the only remaining witnesses. One heard angels, the others did not. One saw the family leave toward Egypt. All felt they had been transformed but had not fully sorted out how.
We briefly thought about turning the manger site into a holy shrine, but some were ambivalent, some did not think we were prepared for the crowds of visitors and we all knew Herod would make this impossible.
Then the slaughter of the innocents.
You know the rest.

No comments: