Saturday, May 7, 2022

Making art

 At this point in life, I ask myself why I make art. The simple answer: I have to. Then the question: Why is my art the way it is? In college I studied mathematics and chemistry, Spanish literature and art history. As I developed my teaching career at the Art Academy, I taught myself contemporary physics, theory of evolution, science history, mythology, philosophy of love and contemporary art. Curiosity like this fed my art. These disciplines were rich in ideas that kept banging against one another, clustering, forming patterns and relationships. Art was the way I could sort them out and try to make some sense of them. For me, the media never drove the ideas. The ideas always directed the form they needed to take, including taking various forms of writing.


No comments: