Saturday, September 16, 2023

Death

 I’ve been thinking about death. I’ve seen too many elderly in nursing homes who have no awareness of who they are or where they are. They sit drooling, with infrequent family visits. Others where suffering can only be alleviated by drugs. If I cherish life, I have to ask myself: What is life? If I affirm human dignity, I have to ask myself: What is human dignity?

I don’t want to be the object of obligatory care and awkward visits that I have no awareness of. The personal resources I’ve accumulated during my life were meant for family and charity not simply for care to keep me teetering on death. Life is not simply still breathing. Life is joy, pleasure, consciousness and dignity.
I know I can be dead while I’m still alive. I know my dignity is what I earn while I am still alive.
I’m thinking about death.

No comments: