Sunday, August 27, 2017

Two by two

In my teens I attended Pelican Boys State, a program to help young people learn about state government in Louisiana. At the same time Pelican Girls State was happening. For the Governor’s Ball, celebrating the conclusion of the programs, the boys and girls were lined up and paired randomly as dates. I liked to dance, but I was paired with a Baptist girl for whom dancing was prohibited. We had to work it out.


This experience suggests to me that when opposing protest groups come together, the same thing happen for them. That way each group is no longer a mob with the potential of acting like a mob. The groups become pairs of human beings talking to one another as human beings, breaking through stereotypes. I know this seems wildly improbable, but what else can work? Do you have a better idea?

No comments: