Friday, August 5, 2016

Absurdity: driver of human civilization

We can thank the rational for much of human civilization. But we must also give due credit to absurdity. In big and small bits, it fills all our lives from Madonna's stage outfits to Donald Trump's candidacy.

Think about some big steps that seemed over the top in their time;

"Why don't we create these giant wall drawings in a place where we will have to invent the technology to scaffold, paint and light the things."

"I think we can take this chunk of rock and turn it into weapons and jewelry."

"I think we can prove the earth is spherical and measure its circumference with a stick and a triangle."

"Even if I get burned at the stake, I believe there could be life on other planets."

"Why don't we try putting the sun at the center of the universe and see what happens."

"I think we can make sense of why the  moon doesn't fly off into space."

"I think most of matter is nothing but empty space."

"I think I can make an exact copy of this sheep."

"I think I can convince you the universe is 13 million years old."

"We can surely land a vehicle on Mars and it will roam around and send us back information."

"We can grow skin."

"We can take a bit of gene out and replace it with different bit of gene."

"We can transplant a face."

"We can build a hundred story skyscraper."

"We can make a little box so you can access endless information and talk to anyone on the planet."

You get the idea.






No comments: