Monday, May 27, 2013

Go Reds

I went with my family to a Reds game yesterday. It was my first Reds game in a long time, and my first one in the new stadium. After a period of time, it occurred to me that there was actually a baseball game going on on the field. And some people were watching it.

Between the vendors in the aisles, the music that filled every empty second, the scoreboard, the fan games, the waves, the musical interludes specific to each player, the organ, the food runs, the T-shirt cannons, flame shooting smokestacks and fireworks, it seemed to me that the game itself was the distraction more than the main event. It also seemed that the experience was predicated on the fact that every moment has to be entertainment if not some level of spectacle.


I will say that with the beach ball spree and the Beach Boys, I did get my money's worth.


No comments: