Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Genesis

I'm God, and I'm doing a little reminiscing. I knew, when I got this whole ball rolling, that there would one day be a nervous system that began to ask questions. I happened to become fond of this small group of desert nomads. They were always smiting and smoting, which I even got into a little myself.

They began to ask where everything came from, and I thought they deserved an answer. But what answer? I figured that if I told them about monkeys and humans, about the sex lives of praying mantises, about the bacteria in their bellies, about what would come to be named quarks, about how much I love beetles and about their own vulnerability, it would be a disaster.

So I decided on the seven days of creation, thinking it would be a nice metaphor for evolution when they got there. So, pleased with myself, I took a little nap. Well, the next day--one of mine, not yours--I woke up to find two former astronauts looking for Noah's ark. I got a chuckle out of that. But then I heard that Answers in Genesis was building a Noah's ark replica with a gift shop in the bottom. We all got a laugh out of that. We still do.

You see, I didn't create man and woman just to see how they would handle free will and good and evil. Sometimes I need to laugh too.

No comments: