Monday, January 22, 2024

Campaign

 American political campaigns are too long, too negative and too expensive. Campaign money pours into media coffers with ads that are crafted by marketers and spin doctors. Candidates are constructed by speech writers and reputation managers.

If I were a candidate, this would be my strategy. I would spend little money on campaign ads, none negative. I would turn my campaign funds into private support for effective programs. I would go (on a modest budget) to places where the important issues were evident and speak to ordinary people—homeless shelters, daycare centers, manufacturing plants, city governments, police stations, hospitals. I would ask what’s working and what’s not working. I would discuss with them my ideas and strategies for improvement. Then I would find a program related to our discussions which needs funding and make a donation.
Hopefully, this would get media coverage, word of mouth support and show them my concern, support and leadership in action.

No comments: