Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Answers

The fuzzy mythology about the lives of artists makes us believe there is magically tragic artist life that we somehow grow into or create as an identity. I believe an artist's life is authentic to the artist in forms that are myriad. Then I ask myself if there a core of values or characteristics that define this authenticity. I suppose I could just ask myself that question answer it for myself and assume I had the answer for everyone. And maybe that's all I could do and the best I could do. So I'll give the big answer a try.

-- Art should be wrapped in a creative approach to the world.

-- Hold on to personal integrity as an artist for as long as possible.

-- The desire and passion to do art are not enough, even if practiced. The intention must be to seek something profound.

-- Art must never lose sight of its humanity.

-- Art must never lose sight of its responsibility.

-- Art must never become complacent, spoiled, condescending, flabby or compromising.

No comments: