Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What demonstrates that I am serious about the art I produce? For me, it's not quantity--though my studio storage shows I've made plenty. It's not size and spectacle--though I've made some big pieces and have certainly made a spectacle of myself. It's not precious materials--I recycle, go on the cheap, don't always frame stuff, am a pack rat. It's not fame--I'm far from it and don't really go after it and don't have lines of patrons waiting to leap on the next piece. So what is it?

That's a question an artist must always ask himself, but lately I've asked that to myself more seriously. The answer. The vision gets maintained no matter what. It's not sidelined by time or the lack of it, by materials or the form of them, by life and the demands of it. And just as important, it's a generous vision--not undemanding, not unquestioned--but in love with the world and caring about the viewer.

No comments: